3.26.2005

Basketball Heaven

So today I saw two of the best games of basketball I've seen in a while. The Louisville vs. West Virginia game was flat out awesome. I don't usually root for Pitino and the Cards, but I guess I'm getting a little softer toward them. I guess you can call them the "comeback cards" now (reference to the "comeback cats" from Pitino's days at Kentucky). I'm glad they made it to the final four for a couple reasons. 1. Because I picked them in my brackets and 2. Pitino is the only coach to take 3 different teams to the final four.....I think he deserves it.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: "comeback cats" was in 1998 with Tubby I now realize, however, when I made that comment, I was thinking more in terms of the 1994 game between Kentucky and LSU under Pitino, which is considered one of the greatest comebacks of all time...like 30 points in 15 minutes or something like that.]

And just when I thought basketball couldn't get any better today, I sit down to watch the Arizona vs. Illinois game. This was a game that peaked my interested cause I feel that Illinois hasn't really been challenged this season yet. I had faith in them, halfway through the game they started to let me down. In fact, I continued to be disappointed in the "almost undefeated" team this season up until the last 3 minutes. Just as I was calling my friend from Illinios to taunt and tell her that her team was disappointing me (and getting their butts kicked) they started fighting their way back. Truthfully, I wanted Illinios to win. I was hoping that by calling and taunting, I would jinx myself.....and it seemed to work. Good thing said friend wasn't home or I'd be paying for it after Illi came back 15 points in the last 3-4 minutes to force overtime and took care of business then (although it was still down to the last seconds). I got really into the game. And when I say I got into the game...I mean, when the last 8 seconds or so was on the clock, I was down on the ground (face first almost) in front of the TV screaming not to let Arizona shoot the ball. So yeah, I'm officially impressed by Illinios. I had to cheer for them because I hate Arizona (there is only room for ONE Wildcats team in the NCAA...and it's not them--or Villanova). And I had to cheer for them because I picked them to win in one of my main two brackets.

Anyway, what can I say...great games. Best games of the tourney I think (minus the W. Virginia/Wake Forest game). I hope tomorrow proves to be a good day. So far two of my final four teams have made it....hopefully UK and UNC don't let me down tomorrow.

At this point, other than Wisconsin, I don't care who wins the tourney...ideally, I'd like to see Kentucky or Illinois (cause i picked them) win, but I could deal with the other teams winning (now that I'm over my Pitino/Louisville bitterness). I'd prefer it not be UNC (don't want them catching up with us for National Titles), but I could deal with it (it's the lesser of the evils when it comes to Carolina basketball teams). I can even deal with Louisville winning, so long as they're not winning against Kentucky for the title (how horrible would that be for a Cats fan?). Mich State.....well, Tom Izzo has earned it. Wisconsin has not.

So yeah, that's my rant today...all about basketball. I guess I learned today that I've been a closet Illinois fan all season long (just can't let Franny know). In fact, a couple years or so ago, when they had a really good team, I cheered for them. I actually like the Big Ten conference for the most part. But yeah, I'm still holding out for National Championship #7 for Kentucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home