11.07.2004

Saved!

Ok, so I just got through watching Saved, a satirical comedy about a group of high school kids at a Christian school. One of the girls gets pregnant, which makes her question her faith, and causes a lot of commotion at the school, along with all the other stuff going on.

Anyway, the point is not to tell you about what happens in the movie. The point is to talk about the issue the movie raises. While the movie was exaggerated (they actually attempt an exorcism--hilarious scene) and overacted, it was what it was supposed to be. It wasn't supposed to "save" the world (no pun intended). It wasn't meant to be an Oscar nomination. It was meant to take a serious situation, and put it out there in a manner that won't make people too uncomfortable.

Now, I know, as a "good christian" I should probably be a little offended by the movie. However, I'm not. And here is why. I've known too many Hillary Fayes in my life. Heck, I could've even been a boarder line one in high school depending on who I was around. It's just that these self-righteous people make Christians look like that. I think we tend to categorize people by the worst seeds. Look at the Muslim reglion. The majority of them would never have any part of a terrorist attack, however, a lot of times, when we think of it, we always think of 9/11, or we think of all the fighting in the Middle East. We don't think about all the people who just want to practice their religion and worship their God. The people that are no different that you and I on a day to day basis.

Maybe one day, when I finish(or start) my masterpiece about a certain "group" I knew back in the day, it'll make more sense to you and to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home