11.17.2004

5 thing about your hometown

Okay, so you have to list 5 things about your hometown, that's it. Easy. Explain if you want, don't if you don't want to. I don't care. Here's mine:

1. The Lights: This I'll explain. Every year (used to) for several years, we had this family who lived out in the county, who would decorate their house and the neighbors (who were relatives) with Christmas lights. And not just plain ol' lights. I mean, lights of Santa, Jesus, reindeer, the wisemen, EVERYTHING. Then they had all this stuff in their house. People would be lined up down the rode, out in the middle of BFE to see the lights, on a curvy, nearly one lane road. It was cool. I think they were the Adkinson's.

2. The Dairy: The Cumberland Dairy to be exact. Everyone just had to go there to eat. Cool atmosphere. Food was overpriced and wasn't good, but whatever. I went for the best darn Cherry Vanilla Cokes in the world. It almost had the feel of like a 50s type resturant I guess.

3. The Doughboy: So most people, if they have a middle of town, they circle around the courthouse or something like that, with different lanes, etc....We circled around the Doughboy. Basically a statue in the middle of the street downtown. No particular line to guide you around it, you just knew. And if you didn't...well, then you weren't from around there. Some of my friends never figured that out.

4. The Lot: More circle stuff here. Big Lots parking lot. Friday and Saturday nights during the summer especially, it was the place to be. You drove around it in your car. We didn't circle town, just the lot. And different groups of people hung out in different areas of the lot. Like there was a Redneck Row, as we lovingly called it. I did a sociology paper on it once in college.

5. Kelda: After much debate, I think number 5 should be kelda, the lady who stands in the street, every Tuesday night and Wednesday to sell the papers. Been doing it for as long as I remember. People tip her sometimes. Other say she has all this money saved up cause she lives very modestly. I don't know. I just know that if I went home today, I'd probably see her selling papers.

So I'm sure, there are other things...like The Lake for one, but whatever, these things are unique. Now if Ross wants to post, maybe he can tell you 5 MORE things about Monticello, KY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home